Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Review - Uglies by Scott Westerfield


My Review
I was so excited to read this, I patiently waited for Jan 1st to start it. I knew it was out of my norm but all the reviews and something about the storyline completely intrigued me. I chose it also as one of my reads for the Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge hosted by Jennifer over Reading with Tequila - go here to join. http://readingwithtequila.blogspot.com/2009/11/book-blogger-recommendations-list-2009.html

The writing in this book is great and the execution perfection, there was a beginning, middle and end. Unfortunately for me I was just not interested, maybe I need to stay away from SF, Dystopia genres. I quickly got half way and just thought omg I just don't care but the writing is so good it was worth finishing. I'm glad to at least know what all the hype is about. I will not be continuing this series though. If you enjoy YA, SF and Dystopia and you haven't read it yet, it is a must. Also if your a Star Trek fan you will like, it totally made me think that for some reason, and i'm not a Treki but my ex was.
The story is about adventure and it takes you on a journey following Tally, the main character.
This is what is on back of the book.......
Tally is about to turn sixteen and she can't wait. In just a few weeks she'll have the operation that will turn her from a repellent ugly into a stunning pretty. And as a pretty, she'll be catapulted into a high-tech paradise where her only job is to have fun.
But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to become a pretty. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world - and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally a choice: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. Tally's choice will change her world forever...
I give it 3 stars.
That is the best I could do for this review.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry. I wish it was better for you. You got a Star Trek feel? Huh. Was it the hovercrafts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was the Hovercrafts. I didn't geth the feeling of questioning myself on real life etc and I was looking forward to new technology but the talking to elevator and water becoming food was just so yesteryear to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband loved this whole series, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, but I plan to give it a try one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here, even I didn't like it much ! I loved the plot, but maybe there were a lot of hover board adventures described in the book which I found very boring.
    I have already purchased Pretties but I am hesitant to read that one in spite of people telling me its better than uglies !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.