Saturday, January 15, 2011

Review - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society




Summary from Amazon

The letters comprising this small charming novel begin in 1946, when single, 30-something author Juliet Ashton (nom de plume Izzy Bickerstaff) writes to her publisher to say she is tired of covering the sunny side of war and its aftermath. When Guernsey farmer Dawsey Adams finds Juliet's name in a used book and invites articulate—and not-so-articulate—neighbors to write Juliet with their stories, the book's epistolary circle widens, putting Juliet back in the path of war stories. The occasionally contrived letters jump from incident to incident—including the formation of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society while Guernsey was under German occupation—and person to person in a manner that feels disjointed.

My Review - 4 Great to the last Drop

Wow, what a delightful read.  I understand why 'everyone' has recommended this one.  This is the perfect get you out of a reading slump and/or feel good book.  Anyone that loves characters will enjoy this book.

Julia, the main character is just divine, has a remarkable charming personality with perfect sarcastic humour, I totally adored her.

I am not into Historical Fiction, War stories etc so I am shocked that even the parts about this was still interesting to me, very well executed indeed.  Some may not enjoy this novel as it is written in letters but it just makes sense for the story, in my opinion.  Even the co-author explained it in the Afterword, Mary Ann Shaffer was an amazing story teller, that was her talent, you just get enthralled.

I was glad we find out quickly where the title The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society comes from but sheeeesh really :-)  I decided to have a little contest - go here, Rename the book.

I wish I had read this one on my Kindle, quote after quote after quote, this book just had so many amazing quotes I wanted to highlight them.  Go here to see Ruby's blog a thousand Books with quotes, you can read the quotes she chose from The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

19 comments:

  1. I loved this book too. I don't read a lot of historical fiction, but I sure do love a good epistolary novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this book yet but I plan too. It's high on my TBR list. I've heard and read so many great things about it. I am really impressed that you found the parts in the book about the war interesting when normally you don't like passages about war (understandably). This sounds like a captivating story. I adore good, charming characters, too.

    I'm definitely going to read this soob!
    ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book! I thought it was so unique how the entire book was written in letters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marce. I love all the characters in this book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this book also. Your review is right on, very nice. As far as changing the name of the book, after reading the book, I think the title fits very well. But, I don't have an imagination, as far as changing names of books. It will be fun to see what others come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad this book didn't disappoint! I don't read a lot of historical fiction either, but this was "delightful" as you said (the exact word I'd used to describe it). Have to think of what the title should be!

    I think if you like this, you'd like Ella Minnow Pea too - "delightful" again. But don't read it now, maybe later in the year, so it won't taint your reading experience from this book (written in letters too).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have this one on my shelf. I will get to it some day! Thanks for sharing, Marce....

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favourites.
    The title was off putting and I overlooked it many times on the book shop shelves.

    I was expecting a story about a group of little old ladies.
    So glad I did pick it up. I was not aware of the occupation of the island in WW2

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not into historical fiction either, but definitely still plan on reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was so good. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you gave it a good rating. I've just started reading it and find it interesting so far. I'm curious about the name so have to keep reading...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read this but one of these days I will! :-) Glad you enjoyed it so much. It's one of these books that everyone has read and I wonder why I haven't!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up on The Book Frog. I post a Linky every Saturday and Tuesday, and hope to see you back.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like a very outstanding read. Thanks for sharing about the book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have started it and have every intention of finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore this book and passed it around my family as soon as I finished. My descriptive word for it goes back and forth between "charming" and "lovely." Maybe I should just go with "charmingly lovely?" I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was always really fun to hear customers ask for this because no one ever remembered the full name. It was always that Potato woman book, you know the one that I mean right? HA!!
    My mom has my copy. I STILL haven't read it.

    Good review.!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, I agree this title is a mouthful but so worth reading becuase it is such a great story! Glad you loved it too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.