Sunday, January 2, 2011

Review - I am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells




Book Summary from Dan Wells site

I Am Not a Serial Killer is the story of John Cleaver, a 15-year-old sociopath who works in a mortuary, dreams about death, and thinks he might be turning into a serial killer. He sets strict rules to keep himself “good” and “normal,” but when a real monster shows up in his town he has to let his dark side out in order to stop it–but without his rules to keep him in check, he might be more dangerous than the monster he’s trying to kill.

My Review - 4 1/2 Great to the last Drop

What a great character, he intrigued me and I couldn't get enough.  I am so glad to know this is a series even though I truly love a standalone more, but that is how good this is.  Non stop action with John trying to catch his neighbourhood killer.

John has you feel sorry for him, feel fearful of him, fearful for others around him including his mom, just an overall shock.  I am wow'd and completely intrigued by him.

This book has some gruesome description, just how I like it.  John's mom allows him to assist with the embalming process from beginning to end in the mortuary, seeing the dead bodies, smelling them, putting them together so they can be viewed by family and friends.  This was a book I could not read while eating, something I do all the time.   John is 15 and I hope not like any teenager we will ever meet.  Knowing what was in his mind was unbelievable, totally scary and nerve wrecking, even for himself at times.  I loved how deep he thought even though it was unusual.  His parents named him John Wayne Clever.  Now usually no one would notice but he is totally addicted to learning and understanding serial killers, he even wrote an essay on one.  Do you think his teacher was scared, lol  (See the cover)

John lived by rules so that he won't become a serial killer.  How completely strange and weird is that.  He had to go to a counselor, he seriously needed some mental health intervention.  His counselor said he was a sociopath and he was happy to have been labeled.

This is a must read for Horror fans, I am very impressed with Dan Wells and look forward to reading this series.

I saw this on Book Chick City's Top 10 for 2010 and had to read it, glad I did.  Here is her review.

15 comments:

  1. I am not a horror fan, but I'm still intrigued by this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on my Nook. Can't wait to read it! Thanks for sharing, Marce....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been dying to read this. I seriously think you are my reading twin. We have very similar interests in books. OH and by the way, I just ordered my birthday Kindle! I can't wait! :D I know how much you love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take your recommendation and add it to this year's wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to have to check this one out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am not very much into horror but I would like to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to read this! Thanks for sharing this awesome review :D

    Brush Up On your Reading

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got a copy of this for xmas, I haven't read it yet but glad to hear it's great. Looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my gosh! I HAVE to get this! It's going right on my to-buy list! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now this sounds like a real winner! I'll have to add it to my tbr pile that's supposed to whittle this year :) I like stand alone as well just so you can be at the end once and for all, but I forever find myself with a ton of series in my lap!

    How awesome that she commented on your blog!! If you can get her to come to the book club, fantastic!

    Yes, Marce, tea with you would be so great!!

    Paula
    Tomes Devotee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sold! Going on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just got this book from Paperbackswap. I'm not a fan of horror, but this book intrigues me. I hope I can get through the gruesome scenes!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just finished this. Yes I read it while eating lunch lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to read this book- it seems like something I would like. Like an even creepier Version of I Hunt Killers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.