Monday, January 24, 2011

Review - Murder on the Down Low by Pamela Samuels Young





Book Summary

A brazen killer is targeting me of L.A.'s most prominent citizens.  The victims are all quintessential family men.  Well-educated. Attractive.  Successful.  But appearances can be deceiving.  When the baffling murders are linked to a contentious wrongful death lawsuit, two savvy lawyers and a tenacious female detective soon expose a scandalous tale of lust, lies and vengeance. 

My Review - 4 Great to the last drop

I read Pamela Samuels Young, Buying Time thriller last year and loved it, it was on my top ten of 2010.  I was delighted when Tracee, the Virtual Assistant from Pump up your Books contacted me to read this one.  I have to give PamelaSY praises for being an author that crossed over, what I mean by that is, in my opinion Black authors usually only draw Black readers.  Buying Time completed is for anyone that loves a great edge of seat thriller, but I think Murder on the Down Low is a great Mystery and still has ingredients of makes a great story but it was DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA, more of what I consider black readers love and expect from black authors.

The storyline will not be for everyone.  African American established married men on the down low, having a secret gay life.  There is a serial killer disgusted with this action and out to kill them all.  If any of you watched the show Soul Food or Girlfriends, this had that flair to it.  The story reminded me of author E.Lynn Harris, he wrote books on the invisible life of gay African American men.

Pamela SY executes well.  She always has the perfect balance of characters and they are all important to the story.  Short chapters that make you want to continue reading.  This book was entertaining but also made you aware of an African American dynamic within the community with AIDS statistics.

If you love a great mystery that will teach you about small part of a culture and lots of drama, you will enjoy this story.
I am glad I read Buying Time first, I am still interested in trying her other books.
Pamela Samuels Young will be stopping at Tea Time with Marce tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Miss Marce, do you think Thursday would be okay for the book club Q's or should we make it the last day of the month? You can post here and I'll just come and check whacha think :)

    Paula
    Tomes Devotee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting this one tonight. I didn't realize the full story, but it sounds interesting. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the review and I'll be coming by for your interview tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love a good murder mystery....thank you for recommending another one for my tbr stack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Married men on the down-low, living a secret gay life? Sounds good to me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm going to read this. I don't read much from African American author but I love being out from comfort zone. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this one as well. I also appreciated the attention given to the AIDS epidemic and how it's actually spread more through heterosexual contact than any other way. I remember (vaguely), when it was still thought of as only a "gay man's" disease, and for some reason, people didn't pay any attention to it then.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.