Sunday, September 4, 2011

Review - The Accident by Linwood Barclay






Book Summary

In this mesmerizing thriller by acclaimed author Linwood Barclay, a typical American community descends into darkness, as an ordinary man is swept into one of the most violent mysteries of modern life.
 
It’s the new normal at the Garber household in Connecticut: Glen, a contractor, has seen his business shaken by the housing crisis, and now his wife, Sheila, is taking a business course at night to increase her chances of landing a good-paying job.

But she should have been home by now.

Waiting for Sheila’s return, with their eight-year-old daughter sleeping soundly, Glen soon finds his worst fears confirmed: Sheila and two others have been killed in a car accident. Adding to the tragedy, the police claim Sheila was responsible.

Glen knows it’s impossible; he knew his wife and she would never do such a thing. When he investigates, Glen begins to uncover layers of lawlessness beneath the placid surface of their suburb, secret after dangerous secret behind the closed doors.

Propelled into a vortex of corruption and illegal activity, pursued by mysterious killers, and confronted by threats from neighbors he thought he knew, Glen must take his own desperate measures and go to terrifying new places in himself to avenge his wife and protect his child.

Bold and timely, with the shocking twists and startling insights that have become trademarks of this new master of domestic suspense, The Accident is a riveting triumph, a book that moves at a breathless pace to a climax no one will see coming.




My Review - 4 1/2 Great to the last drop

I have only read No Time to Say Goodbye and really enjoyed it so wanted to read more. Well Linwood Barclay definitely delivered a racing heart thriller.

I loved that this book continued to throw in twists and turns and made you think what are the odds of that, kept me totally engaged and wanting to read faster and faster to figure out the puzzle of great characters and how they all were involved in the tragedy going on around them.

Glen was my favorite and he was the main character.  He was talking to a lawyer and said this, a great teaser from the book.  "In The Sign of the Four, Holmes says, and I think I have this right, 'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.' You know the phrase?"


The characters in this book have really got themselves in some hot water, dug a hole they can't get out of, totally responsible for the stress they have bought on themselves and unfortunately those around them.  Emotions are running high, they are screaming at each other, scared of what each other knows, total chaos.  Secrets are never good and when  an innocent child is using her video on her cellphone for a hide and seek game, those secrets start to unravel.

Glen refuses to accept that is wife is responsible for her own death and others.  While asking questions, putting himself in danger, the race of these investigations coming to a close has you racing to the end of the book.

I absolutely loved this book.  It did leave me thinking about consequences and when something is in your face, do you take it for face value and are coincidences just that or more.

A true thriller, it kept me on the edge of my seat.

I read this one for my I Want More Challenge.

The following featured host bloggers from Thrill Week have also reviewed this one, check them out.

The Book Whisperer and Best O' Books




8 comments:

  1. I've never tried Barclay's work, but it sure sounds like I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does write a good thriller. I've seen this one in the bookstores so shouldn't be long before the library has it. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to apologize for not being around. I know I signed up and it looks so interesting but I ended up gone for the weekend. I will try to catch the last few days of the event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked it! I love Linwood Barclay! Remember to check out my Thrill Hop post today at Best O' Books. Rae

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read No Time to say Goodbye as well and loved it. Barclay is similarr to Harlan Coben and Marcus Sakey, whom I both love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading books that are written in such a way that you feel compelled to keep turning pages and you feel like you are reading faster and faster just because you "must" know what happens next.

    So glad you enjoyed it. I am not familiar with the author (or wasn't until now) and am always thrilled to find out about good books. Despite what it does to my budget. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, now because of you, I am going to have to go and grab a copy of this for either my Kindle or Nook! I have been good in holding off, but after reading your review, I can no longer resist!! You evil woman, you!! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.