Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Review - Inside the Outside by Martin Lastrapes



Book Summary

By the time Timber Marlow is fifteen years old, she has already killed three men. Despite the bloody and violent nature of their deaths, Timber is hardly a murderer. She has lived her entire life as a cannibal within a cult tucked away in the San Bernardino Mountains called the Divinity of Feminine Reproach. The Divinity keeps itself isolated from the Outside, which is the mainstream society beyond its invisible borders. When the opportunity presents itself, Timber escapes into the Outside, bearing witness to some dark and unsettling truths about the world around her and the integral role she plays in it. But no matter how long she stays away, Timber finds out the past isn't as far away as she thinks it is. In this debut novel, laced with scenes of horrific violence and uplifting humanity, Martin Lastrapes has written a one-of-a-kind story about love, friendship, sacrifice and cannibalism.

My Review - 3 1/2

I wanted to read a horror, so after reading Jennifer's review over at Book Den I decided to go for it.  Hunger Games meets horrified grossness in this story.  For all those that loved Hunger Games, if you can handle a whole new level of violence and deranged thinking you will find yourself another story to love. 

I tried not to be so judgemental as the characters can only react to what they know, a whole world that at times, completely grossed me out.  The thought of cannibalism is of putting and with the details it took me to a level of squeamish reading.  I was intrigued on the family unit, women had babies and they were taken away immediately, they wanted all women to love all the young as if they were their own.  And the God complex leader was Daddy Marlow, one sick twisted son of a b - demon.   The Inside was a community of hairless bodies that represented purity and goodness.

I enjoyed the style Martin L used to execute his book in Parts.  The first section the Inside was a rude awakening which I began to 'appreciate'.  You couldn't help to love Timber and wanted to follow her journey.  I was excited to see her get to the Outside, this section was ok, I felt the huge mystery could have been more edgy, the waiting took to long in my opinion. 

I was entertained with how the story was being told to me.  It felt like I was in dark room, scary but cozy with this adorable storyteller.  My mouth fell open when I figured out who was telling the story.  Great point of the book.

My favourite quote from the book - To eat a person in the Outside was frowned upon not simply because it was eating human flesh, but because you were eating everything that person was - you were eating their love and their compassion, their imagination and their empathy, their hopes and their dreams.

Cover -  This is my favourite cover of the year, so eye catching and completely relevant to story.

Another great read for the RIP Challenge.


I started reading this and was only about 4 chapters in when Martin Lastrapes emailed me to review, talk about coincidence.   Thank you Martin for giving a copy to one of my followers.

eBook GIVEAWAY for Kindle

Leave comment with email

Closes Friday, Oct 7



Click on title to comment please