Thursday, January 26, 2012

ARC Review - The Kingdom by Amanda Stevens





Book Summary from NetGalley

Deep in the shadowy foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains lies a dying town…

My name is Amelia Gray. They call me The Graveyard Queen. I’ve been commissioned to restore an old cemetery in Asher Falls, South Carolina, but I’m coming to think I have another purpose here.
Why is there a cemetery at the bottom of Bell Lake? Why am I drawn time and again to a hidden grave I’ve discovered in the woods? Something is eating away at the soul of this town—this withering kingdom—and it will only be restored if I can uncover the truth.

My Review - 4 Great to the last Drop
(I chose to read from NetGalley)

Amanda Stevens has a way with words, she creates a euphoric creepy atmosphere that you can visualise and at times feel.  Such a great build up with the mystery tension weaving around as you read.  I enjoyed taking my time and being fully engaged in the story, blocking everything else out.

Amelia knows she is different, not an outcast but different.  She has been requested to go restore another cemetery and when she gets there she doesn't understand the natural pull of belonging but in a scary way.  She is there to do a job and will fulfill it even though she knows she is not from breaking her fathers rules she is no longer safe and has put herself at mysterious risk.

Asher Falls has the feel of a ghost town, is it deserted or not, why does everyone stay in after dark, trying to stay safe when dusk falls.  All these questions and those around her purposely trying to make her uncomfortable.  If they are not they are either saving her from troubled situations or possibly manipulating her in some way.

Amelia continues to think about her forbidden feelings she has for Delvin, the haunted detective from The Restorer.  This causes guilty feelings when she starts to have a connection with Thane.

I would highly recommend reading this series in order, a great flow from one to the other but great on their own also.

The outcome of the mystery was perfect, the dark family secrets and Asher Fall, the overall pull Amelia felt while there and why she was the chosen restorer.  There were a few small unfinished business scenarios for me but they didn't take away from this fantastic creepy mystery.

A favourite quote

As I hurried along the path, my nerve endings tingled with an awareness I didn't understand.  It was as if some long-dormant instinct had suddenly come alive, and I could feel the forest reaching out to me, hear the leaves whispering to me once again. 

You can read the first chapter of The Kingdom and see the trailer here.



Currently Reading



 Aren't all the covers lovely.  The Prophet due out April



9 comments:

  1. I finished book 1 recently, will plan to read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to start this series. I have the first one, just haven't gotten to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its always great when you enjoy a netgalley : )

    I chose Forbidden for our June book club choice. Everyone was like "oh this sounds intense" some were cringing, one said, "what like Flowers In The Attic?" I hope we all enjoy it!

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy - the perfect creepy for all the books so far

    Christa - look forward to your review, I'm happy we don't have to wait long for the next. Even though not a cliffhanger I enjoy her writing.

    Darlene - you won't be disappointed, a great RIP read if you put it on your list for then

    Paula - I have to say I have been pleased with what I choose on Netgalley, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    Sounds like an awesome book. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books
    http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not reading reviews but I like that it met the expectations set by the first one :) I am really looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooo i do love the covers and the series sounds fantastic! Are all of the books available on Net Galley or only the newest release?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this book! Thanks for coming to check out my review at Reading Lark. I agree that Amanda Stevens does a brilliant job with her settings. They always give me a delicious chill.

    Andrea @ Reading Lark

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.