Thursday, January 19, 2012

Review - Bedbugs by Ben H. Winters



Amazon Summary

Susan and Alex Wendt have found their dream apartment.

Sure, the landlady is a little eccentric. And the elderly handyman drops some cryptic remarks about the basement. But the rent is so low, it’s too good to pass up.

Big mistake. Susan soon discovers that her new home is crawling with bedbugs . . . or is it? She awakens every morning with fresh bites, but neither Alex nor their daughter Emma has a single welt. An exterminator searches the property and turns up nothing. The landlady insists her building is clean. Susan fears she’s going mad—until a more sinister explanation presents itself: she may literally be confronting the bedbug problem from Hell.


My Review - 3 More Sugar Please

I decided to pick this up after reading Kathy's review at BermudaOnion's Weblog

This had great buildup but a little to long and such a fast closing that it ended up weird, I thought, how odd and disappointing.

It did have a great creepy factor on the kindle version where it had bedbugs on each beginning page of Part 1, 2 and 3.  I am sure many felt as if something was crawling on them while reading, that was a good touch.  Enough detail to make you a little paranoid and unsure if Susan is paranoid, going crazy or really dealing with bedbugs.

I enjoyed the moving into a new home and then the irrational fear that no one else noticed or was affected by. Then I got mad about why her husband didn't notice and get her help or some ointment at least.  He did get her help but I think he was a little in denial also on how bad it really was.  Susan said this situation of dealing with badbugs is really bad but wow it hit both her and Alex like a ton of bricks.

I loved the scenario of dealing with bedbugs versus badbugs. 

When bedbugs latch on, they feast on blood for ten minutes and fall away;  badbugs feast not only on blood, but on body and soul.  And when they latch on, they feast forever.

The characters were classic horror characters; weird, unsuspecting and eccentric.

12 comments:

  1. Glad you read it ... I've been eyeing this book for a while now! I'm still on the lookout for a good, scary book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea for this book sounds really terrifying! Too bad it wasn't amazing, but at least you enjoyed some parts of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just couldn't read this becuase I know just the IDEA of the bedbugs would freak me out too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one in my TBR. It sounds good except for the ending. I'll be reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I have to think about reading it. It still sounds thrilling, maybe terrifying is the better word. I am a bug phobic so this might just really get under my skin...;)

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this book and hope to get to it soon. I just know it's going to freak me out though and I probably won't be able to sleep at night. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any of you that have a phobia, you will be scared for sure, no doubt, definitely don't lay in bed while reading, lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering whether to read this... maybe I'll skip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i don't know that i'm brave enough for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a brave one. I, even if you gave this one a tea time perfection, I don't think I would be able to read it. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too weird for me. I hate bugs. This book creeped me out at BEA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still not sure I can read this although I am sorely tempted. Looks like the buildup is worth it, though the ending seems too fast.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.