Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Review - When Shadows Fall by J.T. Ellison




Book Summary

Dear Dr. Owens,

If you are reading this letter, I am dead and I would be most grateful if you could solve my murder… 

Forensic pathologist Dr. Samantha Owens thought life was finally returning to normal after she suffered a terrible personal loss. Settling into her new job at Georgetown University, the illusion is shattered when she receives a disturbing letter from a dead man imploring her to solve his murder. There's only one catch. Timothy Savage's death was so obviously the suicide of a demented individual that the case has been closed. 

When Sam learns Savage left a will requesting she autopsy his body, she feels compelled to look into the case. Sam's own postmortem discovers clear signs that Savage was indeed murdered. And she finds DNA from a kidnapped child whose remains were recovered years earlier. 
The investigation takes Sam into the shadows of a twenty-year-old mystery that must be solved to determine what really happened to Timothy Savage. Nothing about the case makes sense but it is clear someone is unwilling to let anyone, especially Samantha Owens, discover the truth.

My Review - 5

Released - March 1, 2014

JT Ellison just keeps getting better as an author, I have officially added her to my must read author when new books are released.  A few years ago one of her books intrigued me but was a series so I started from the beginning, well this was a let down.  I was so glad a publicist reached out to me and I tried another later in the same series and it was great. I have now read 5 and was only let down with that first book, loved that I gave her another chance.   

This thriller had it all with consistent intensity, you just can't wait to get to the end to have all the puzzle pieces and put it together.  I loved how JT allowed the readers to go on the journey with the Detectives, this is my favourite style, we get the clues when they do and it allows us to be our own Detective. 

Sam, a Medical Examiner, was a character from the series I read so it was nice to go down memory lane with her.  I didn't realise this was the 3rd in her own Samantha Owen series, how did I miss two sigh, will catch up on those for sure.  

Sam receives a letter from a dead man asking her to do his autopsy and investigate his death.  He leaves enough clues in the letter to help, brilliant from all sides. The main story is about a cult and the layering of toxic onion peel by peel was shocking and unbelievable.  Money can really make people that power hunger and evil.

This was an amazing unputdownable thriller, it had me waking up to read more, so good.  You can read this one as a stand alone but I think I may have enjoyed more understanding the undercurrent relationships from the last series.  I highly recommend you try J.T. Ellision, forensics, suspense, character development, touch of romance and they way it comes together is her strength. 

Quotes I loved

"What would your good do if evil didn't exist, and what would the earth look like if all the shadows disappeared?" - Mikhail Bulgakov

I received this copy from NetGalley.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me about her! I've read two of her books and enjoyed both but then haven't picked her books back up. I need to remedy that! I really want to read this one after reading your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love JT! Have read every single book she's written and look forward to more. She makes "real" characters, with real troubles and phobias. Thanks for sharing this review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.