Sunday, January 17, 2016

Review - Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne





Publication date - May 2015

Book Summary

One of Sarah's daughters died. But can she be sure which one?

A year after one of their identical twin daughters, Lydia, dies in an accident, Angus and Sarah Moorcroft move to the tiny Scottish island Angus inherited from his grandmother, hoping to put together the pieces of their shattered lives.

But when their surviving daughter, Kirstie, claims they have mistaken her identity--that she, in fact, is Lydia--their world comes crashing down once again.

As winter encroaches, Angus is forced to travel away from the island for work, Sarah is feeling isolated, and Kirstie (or is it Lydia?) is growing more disturbed. When a violent storm leaves Sarah and her daughter stranded, they are forced to confront what really happened on that fateful day.

My Review 3 1/2

This is one of the weirdest books I have read.  I can't imagine having identical twins and only knowing them apart by their personality.  When they were babies into toddlers, one had a nail painted pink and the other blue to help identify them.  I can understand the frustration and chilling scary moments for the mother.  As the reader I just wanted to get to the end to understand the story but I was able to put it down, it never had me on the edge of my seat.  Which twin died, Kirstie or Lydia, you truly didn't know and it was quite confusing.

Unreliable characters are one of my favourite styles but I was more frustrated reading this one.  The mom tells the story and I wonder if she needs help, they all need help.  The author did a good job on allowing me to feel the pain and frustration the family did, all in different ways but the ending helps to understand why.  This is such a sad quote.

".....now that Lydia is alone she may lead a more normal life, you know, twins are so different, now she is more normal, in the most terrible way, of course." Kindle 71%

Can you imagine saying that to a mom, outrageous.

As I learned all the secrets throughout the story I was angry, how can parents be that ignorant, what they put on their child was unbelievable to me, no wonder she was confused and it became scary.  This story truly made you consider believing in ghosts, now I can understand the main word used to describe the book, chilling.

When you are guilty of an act that you end up with amnesia, how do you heal and move on?  This is the question and who is guilty, mom, dad or the surviving twin?

 

11 comments:

  1. I am so intrigued by this one!! I have a copy on my kindle- I need to move it up into the reading pile soon. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'll be reading this as I hate unreliable narrators but I bet it would be popular with the patrons at my library. It certainly sounds intriguing. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was mostly pleased with this book. I just went back and read my review again to make sure. I thought that's what I remembered. It was indeed a sad story and I mentioned that this author's writing reminded me of books by Jennifer McMahon. You aren't quite sure if it's all psychological or if there's a little supernatural involved as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The premise sounds so creepy - too bad the book didn't live up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn! Sorry it wasn't better for you as it sounded creepily good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. darn I normally like 'chilling' but I like it to be realistically chilling. Might pass on this one for now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does sound weird that they have no other way of telling them apart. That right there is chilling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does sound weird and creepy, too bad it wasn't more suspenseful. I'd still love to know what the heck was going on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh this sounds creepy! So weird, I wonder who she is now

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bwahahahaha! I told you it was weird! It is an odd little story that does require some suspension of disbelief. I still liked it because that ending is fantastic. Weird but fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.