Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Teaser Tuesday and Review - The Forgotten Daughter by Renita D'Silva






Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of A Daily Rhythm. Anyone can play along! 

Just do the following and go here to participate: Teaser Tuesday

Grab your current read 
Open to a random page 
Share two (2) 'teaser' sentences from somewhere on that page 
BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! 
Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers! 





Teaser -  Once upon a time, I wished for a family, a husband, a bevy of children.  I neglected to be specific.  I did not ask that they all be with me at the same time.  Kindle 78%



Published Date - February 2014

Book Summary

‘You were adopted’. 
Three simple words, in a letter accompanying her parents' will, tear Nisha’s carefully ordered world apart. Raised in England, by her caring but emotionally reserved parents, Nisha has never been one to take risks. 

Now, with the scrawled address of an Indian convent begins a search for the mother and family she never knew and the awakening of childhood memories long forgotten. 

The secrets, culture and people that Nisha discover will change her life forever. And, as her eyes are opened to a side of herself she didn’t know existed, Nisha realizes that she must also seek answers to the hardest question of all – why? 

Weaving together the stories of Nisha, Shilpa and Devi, The Forgotten Daughter explores powerfully and poignantly the emotional themes of motherhood, loss and identity – ultimately asking the question of what you would do out of love for your children? 


My Review - 4 1/2

I read this one a year ago, it was my choice for my book club.  Such a beautiful read.  Last year I really read out of my comfort zone but this was one of the gems.  The Forgotten Daughter was some of the most beautiful lyrical writing I have read.  Renita D'Silva is an author I will definitely try again.  I am not one for descriptive writing but it was the perfect execution.  I felt I was in India, the smells of the culture had me at times closing my eyes and being in the moment.   Having a book make me stop and cherish the time reading is an unique emotion while reading I haven't had before.

Shilpa had the twin girls and had to make the hardest decision in her life which was a matter of life or death.  Emotional and honest journey which we get to hear through all the characters voices. Multiple narrators is another style I enjoy and again, perfect execution. 

Many chapters started with an Indian recipe, simplistic but heartfelt.  I really enjoyed that smells arose memories.  We get to hear their stories from babies, toddlers and then as adults when Nisha finds out she was adopted and starts her adventure.  

I don't personally know anyone that was adopted but I thought this was a stunning story about finding out as an adult and going on a journey to find your loved ones.  

Reading my notes and writing this review makes me want to read it again, which I never do, a solid read, highly recommend.  Beautiful characters, we really get to know them and become invested in their story.  I think the ending was exactly as it should have been in order to honour the culture, the questions, the family.





8 comments:

  1. I think I noticed this one a year or so ago and thought I might read it. Never did. And I am adopted. What I find interesting is finding out that you are adopted with your parents' will. I always knew. I don't ever remember not knowing. I also had 2 adopted siblings. My mother made us feel very special - she always said she chose us. I think I'll take a look for this one, as I don't think the circumstances here are anything like the ones that my family dealt with. Oh, and I was never all that curious about my birth family. My sister on the other hand, she always wanted to find hers. It wasn't possible though. Those records were closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story behind the adoption is so emotional and you understand but definitely makes you think, especially since they were twins and she was separating them. It is only $3.99 right now for Kindle. I don't remember her being curious, shocked and slightly analyzed that she can now see it. Beautiful story.

      So interesting Kay, thanks for sharing your story.

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine finding out that way. The adopted adults I know have found their birth mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The families that are reunited I think must leave documents in order to be found. I find adoptive stories fascinating from tv, this was my first book reading about it.

      Delete
  3. Adoptive stories are always complex and this sounds a good read. Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342        

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.