Sunday, February 14, 2016

Review - The Shut Eye by Belinda Bauer




Published - March 2015

Book Summary

Five footprints are the only sign that Daniel Buck was ever here.

And now they are all his mother has left.

Every day, Anna Buck guards the little prints in the cement. Polishing them to a shine. Keeping them safe. Spiralling towards insanity.

When a psychic offers hope, Anna grasps it. Who wouldn't? Maybe he can tell her what happened to her son...

But is this man what he claims to be? Is he a visionary? A shut eye? Or a cruel fake, preying on the vulnerable?

Or is he something far, far worse?



My Review - 2 1/2

I found this one over at Bolo Books, a blog that lets us know what to be on the lookout for in the thriller, mystery genre.  Then I use LibraryThing which tells you if you will like a book, well it came out that I will LOVE this one, sigh, very wrong in this instance.

I usually give all books that I complete at least a 3 star when I complete it but the ending didn't revive the story, it was very unbelievable and then the ending seemed raced and more unbelievable with so many questions.  There was a stunning scene in the middle but it also turned the book for me and never came back.  I didn't read it for 2 days, considered not finishing it but kept on thinking LT thinks I will love it.

One of my passions is diversity, so the idea of having expatriates, illegal immigrants, cultures, gays all within the story was a plus.  Unfortunately, the boss of the illegal immigrants was terrible even though I am sure very real in our world at times and the others almost felt pushed on us, it didn't make a difference who they were in the story.  A part of the illegal immigrants cultural tradition was bought in the story for the reader but not as part of the mystery investigation, so why are we told, it then almost seems judgmental.  I would have appreciated it coming up and being discussed with the investigation, I think the author missed the mark with this big time, may have even offended readers.

A mother is dealing with grief at a level which makes her come across as crazy.  I really enjoy the husbands character even though more quiet in the story, he is loyal and also dealing with grief but with guilt also.  He left the door open which allowed their son to leave the house and disappear.  Something never felt right to me and the ending made it more unbelievable, I refuse to think that happened and no one saw, bullocks.

The Detective was good but so into himself, the empathy to make him brilliant was not there and he came across as a hypocrite to me.  If you don't believe in psychics, shut eyes then why call on them, but really he was just using them for his own gain.  Most of his attention was on an old case of the girl that was missing, I enjoyed this overall but to many questions in the end, just why, I felt this was left hanging and got us engaged for nothing.

I hadn't  heard the saying Shut Eye before, they are known for conning people, it's more for entertainment, seeing visions from tarot cards, pictures etc.  This also came across as dumb for me once they said the police used a gentleman.  Police surely would choose better.

Even when I do not enjoy a story I can understand why others do, unfortunately in this one, it completely missed the mark for me.  I won't recommend and doubt I will give this author another go actually.

 

7 comments:

  1. Bummer! I was really looking forward to this one but now not as much. I will still read it but probably not any time soon. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam have you read this author before? I probably will give her another chance but no time soon.

      Delete
  2. I think I've got a book or two by this author, but all are unread at this time. So, I have no wisdom for you. You know, some books just don't work for us, for whatever reason. I think I'd just move on to another one and not look back. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her 3 earlier books published in the US are very good. Psychologically insightful character studies. I highly recommend them. I was disappointed with this one. Not credible in my opinion. Too dependent on the plausibility of psychic ability.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342        

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.