Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Review - Edge of Black by JT Ellison




Book Summary


Dr. Samantha Owens is starting over: new city, new job, new man, new life. But before she's even unpacked her office at Georgetown University's forensic pathology department, she's called to consult on a case that's rocked the capital and the country. An unknown pathogen released into the Washington Metro has caused nationwide panic. Three people died—just three.
Amid the media frenzy and Homeland Security alarm bells, Sam painstakingly dissects the lives of those three victims and makes an unsettling conclusion. This is no textbook terrorist, but an assassin whose motive is deeply personal and far from understandable.
Xander Whitfield, a former army ranger and Sam's new boyfriend, knows about seeing the world in shades of gray. About feeling compelled to do the wrong thing for the right reasons. Only his disturbing kinship with a killer can lead Sam to the truth...and once more into the line of fire.

My Review - 4 1/2

I think JT Ellison has officially became my favourite investigative thriller author and to think the first book I read by her I wasn't impressed, so glad I tried again.  She gives me everything I want now.  The feeling of being on the edge and can't read fast enough to know how it will end.  Allowing the reader to be part of the investigation as clues are revealed.  Really great characters who you begin to connect with and look forward to seeing more of. There are always connections which highlights how small our world really is, I find this so true and exciting.

The Edge of Black is the 2nd book in the series of Dr. Samantha Owen, a Forensic Pathologist.  This book begins with an unknown environment attack in the Metro system and a student falls ill while Samantha is teaching.  They rush her to the hospital when all hell breaks loose, is this a terrorist attack.  Many are sick and in the hospital but only 3 die, how is this possible?  I enjoyed the investigation on finding out if the 3 are connected and how.  

We get to know unknown groups in the underworld, tech hackers, groups that many would consider cults and those that live the clean life, away from all.  Samantha's new lover, Xander, is one and he has his own way of helping the investigation.  Book 1 is about Samantha losing her family, helping to investigate a murder of a friend and meeting Xander.

This book is told from the voices of Samantha, Xander and an old friend Detective Darren Fletcher, they are not officially a team and always banter with who is in charge and who and when should they reveal delicate information for the investigation but also their own safety.   I liked that this book felt like it could happen today which is quite scary.  I think we would be amazed at how many people are out to damage the government in any way possible and how many are ready to try to continue living when the world is vulnerable and possibly ending. 

We first met Samantha in the Taylor series by JT Ellison but I love these one's a little more.  I would start with A Deeper Darkness.  I highly recommend this to fans of thrillers, crime/police procedural and suspense fans. Also those that used to love Patricia Cornwell, give this series a try.  A 5 star series, I need to read book 4, I don't know how I read out of order.

Samantha Owen Series for JT Ellison

A Deeper Darkness (Book 1) I didn't review 4 1/2 stars
Edge of Black (Book 2)
When Shadows Fall (Book 3 ) My Review 5 star  (I read out of order)
What Lies Beyond (Book 4)


5 comments:

  1. This is an author that I've meant to try. She has a couple of series, right - and they kind of blend or have some of the same characters? That's what I remember. This character sounds interesting. Will keep it in mind for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like I need to try some Ellison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love finding a series to love. It's so wonderful to think about how many more books you can look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342        

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.