Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Review - The Visitor by Amanda Stevens




Release Date - March 29, 2016, next week - thanks to Netgalley for this read

Book Summary

Restoring lost and abandoned cemeteries is my profession, but I’m starting to believe that my true calling is deciphering the riddles of the dead. Legend has it that Kroll Cemetery is a puzzle no one has ever been able to solve. For over half a century, the answer has remained hidden within the strange headstone inscriptions and intricate engravings. Because uncovering the mystery of that tiny, remote graveyard may come at a terrible price.
Years after their mass death, Ezra Kroll’s disciples lie unquiet, their tormented souls trapped within the walls of Kroll Cemetery, waiting to be released by someone strong and clever enough to solve the puzzle. For whatever reason, I’m being summoned to that graveyard by both the living and the dead. Every lead I follow, every clue I unravel brings me closer to an unlikely killer and to a destiny that will threaten my sanity and a future with my love, John Devlin.

The Visitor - Book 4 of the Graveyard Queen Series 

My Review - 3

This has been one of my favourite series but I wasn't able to connect with this one.  I have been thinking about it for a week and I think the fact that it has been four years since the last may be the issue. It still has the eerie atmospheric feel that keeps you reading but I found it took to long to get to the mystery.

The other books in the series were perfectly executed into each other but I felt Amanda Stevens had to give back story to really have you remember even from the beginning regarding the rules Amelia's dad taught her to stay safe.

Something very strange was happening to and around me.  I recognized a supernatural manipulation as surely as I could sense the icy chill of a ghostly presence..... The intrusion from beyond both angered and frightened me, but I couldn't deny a certain fascination.  Kindle 31%

I have been patiently waiting to read more about Amelia and Devlin's relationship and what the connection was but again the carrot was dangled and this was one of the main background stories with a anticlimactic ending, enough to make me want to read the next one, I won't give up on the series.

I was on the fence also with this one as Amelia seemed very scared, unsure of her gift and at times herself.   She has been given a puzzle to solve and there are those that want to keep her out of it.  Is it the dead or individuals she has come in contact with for her next job.  Amelia has a new gift that she needs to understand and except which adds to the eerie feeling and is visible frightened.

Death walkers are those rare individuals who have the ability to help souls pass from this world to the next.  They serve a unique and powerful purpose in the circle of life.  Kindle 37%

I do like that there are additional family connections for Amelia to learn about.  She has also been able to tap into Devlin's history, this was intriguing but a little weird, the point in a relationship where you may want that skill but also know it is wrong.

Out of all the books in this series, this has been the most odd one, mysterious but not as engaging, it may just not have been what I expected.  The Sinner, book 5 is out in September, I do look forward to that one, I need closure with this series now.  Amelia also felt she didn't quite understand her role in this book which may be why I was a little put off, it didn't grip me like the others.

From the prequel to Book 2, amazing series, book 3 and book 4 have been ok for me.  I wished they continued on with the covers though, they were stunning.

See below for my reviews if interested.  It was also an honour to have Amanda Stevens give an interview here at Tea Time with Marce, have a read if you have enjoyed her Graveyard Queen series.




My Reviews
 
The Abandoned  Prequel
The Restorer Book 1
The Kingdom Book 2
 The Prophet Book 3


19 comments:

  1. I have the first book on my Kindle and bought it when someone (probably you) mentioned how much they liked it. I can sympathize with loving a series and then hitting a book that doesn't grip you as much for whatever reason. Always disappointing. I'll try to remember to read the first one before long. I suspect I will like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 1st and 2nd were amazing, I loved everything about them Kay.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this series before today. I hope the rest of the series gets better for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I haven't really seen them around the blogosphere lately but 4+ years ago I thought many were reading them. I think you will enjoy the gothic feel.

      Delete
  3. Oh bummer. I read The Restorer and The Kingdom and loved them. That was a few years ago. I probably would need a refresher to read books 3 & 4. A shame they aren't holding up. Or maybe it's because you are in a different mood now for exactly what type of story you will enjoy. That happens, too. But I think I'll still give them a try anyway, when I can get them. Thanks for a good review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those 2 were my favourite Rita. You may be right, my mood could be different and just not loving it. The Devlin and Amelia mystery is taking to long to get to, I want to know now :-)

      Delete
  4. Series are better when they give you a little back story. Sorry you weren't able to connect with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Kathy and it was executed well but it really has been to long since the last one, 4 years. I also expected way more.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry this one didn't hold up for you. I hate when certain books in a series just aren't that great. I guess it's bound to happen. So is the 5th book the last book then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny to be honest I am unsure, I feel like this one can go longer. I am just happy The Visitor was not the ending.

      Delete
  6. It sucks when you love a series and you end up with one book that just doesn't connect with you. I always just tell myself, well at least there's more to go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness it isn't the last in the series. I think I just expected a lot from this one.

      Delete
  7. As much as I love reading series, this is my problem with them. I find it hard to remember the details from the previous books. Sorry that this was a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad it was just so-so. I've read the first two books, and loved them as well. I think the 2nd book was even better than the first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm new to this author and I'm sorry to hear this book didn't hold up for you. I think this is one issue with series as there are times that certain instalments are just so-so. Hope the next book will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a bummer this book did not pan out well. I remember reading an older post/review and think I even downloaded one of the early books based on your review. Now I've got to go back and see if it's in my kindle library and if I read it or not. Definitely sounds like a series that would appeal to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite series. Looking forward for the next book. Thanks for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete
  13. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342        

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.